- Pancetta can be found pre-diced in most grocery stores near the deli section. You can also ask the deli to give you a 1/4 pound of thick cut pancetta if you can't find the pre-diced.
- Bacon can be used in place of Pancetta.
- Roasted red peppers are usually found near pickles and banana peppers if you want to buy them already roasted.
- Make sure to slice your Mozzarella thin. Otherwise rolling up the chicken will be a difficult task.
- A basil leaf can also be added to the "filling" or diced basil to the breadcrumbs for extra flavor.
- Don't skip the lemon juice, it really brightens the dish and adds a note of citrus that just enhances all of the flavors.
Pancetta Stuffed Chicken Breasts
3lbs boneless chicken breasts, pounded thin
1/3 cup pancetta, diced
6oz Mozzarella cheese, sliced thin
1/3 cup roasted red peppers, diced or thinly sliced
1 stick butter, melted
Juice of 1 lemon, divided
1 1/3 cup Panko breadcrumbs
1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
salt and pepper
In a small skillet, saute the diced pancetta until crispy. Drain on a paper towel. Lay pounded out chicken breasts flat and layer sliced mozzarella, roasted red peppers and pancetta onto each piece of chicken. Going length ways, tightly roll up each chicken breast and secure with a toothpick or skewer.
In a large bowl combine melted butter and the juice of half a lemon. In a seperate bowl, combine breadcrumbs, parsley and salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Dip each chicken roll-up into butter then dip into breadcrumb mixture. Place in a lightly greased baking dish. Drizzle any excess butter over top of chicken (will help breadcrumbs to brown). Bake at 375 for 40 minutes or until juices run clear. Remove from oven and spritz with the juice from the remaining half a lemon. Remove toothpicks before serving.