This recipe comes from the Hershey Chocolate website and is unbelievably delicious! I was amazed at how easy it was to make cream puffs from scratch. They take about 30 minutes to prepare and 40 minutes to bake, so you don't need to set aside a whole day to spend in the kitchen. All you need is a couple of hours.
MOCHA CREAM FILLING (recipe follows)
Powdered sugar for dusting
1. Heat oven to 400°F. Grease cookie sheet.
2. Heat water and butter in medium saucepan to rolling boil. Add flour all at once; stir vigorously over low heat about 1 minute or until mixture leaves side of pan and forms a ball. Remove from heat. Add eggs, one at a time, beating with spoon after each addition until smooth. Drop batter by scant 1/4 cupfuls about 3 inches apart onto prepared cookie sheet.
3. Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven. Horizontally slice small portion from top of puffs; set tops aside. Remove any soft dough from inside of puffs. Remove puffs from cookie sheet to wire rack; cool completely. Prepare MOCHA CREAM FILLING; fill puffs. Replace tops; sprinkle with powdered sugar. Refrigerate until cold. Cover; refrigerate leftover puffs. 6 cream puffs.
MOCHA CREAM FILLING
2/3 cup sugar
3 tablespoons HERSHEY'S Cocoa
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1-1/2 cups milk
2 to 3 teaspoons powdered instant coffee
1 egg yolk, slightly beaten
1 tablespoon butter or margarine
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Stir together sugar, cocoa and cornstarch in medium saucepan; gradually add milk and instant coffee. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture boils; boil and stir 1 minute. Remove from heat.
2. Gradually stir small amount of hot mixture into egg yolk, blending well; return mixture to pan. Heat just to boiling, stirring constantly.
3. Remove from heat; stir in butter and vanilla. Pour into bowl; press plastic wrap onto surface. Refrigerate until cold.